Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Hooked On Books


Nowadays, with my busy work schedule, reading for leisure is a luxury. Furthermore, I consider myself a fussy reader. Some books I start and never finish, and the writer is to be blamed for failing to keep me interested right to the very end.

For instance, I have tried for years to finish reading 'Catch 22' by Joseph Heller. The book is supposed to be about "a false dilemma where no real choice exists in a post WW2 scenario." But two chapters into it, I find the book boring as hell. And I intentionally left the book to rot on the bookshelf. I recommend you stay away from this awful book.

Once in a while, however, comes a good book.

One such book is 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled Hosseini. I finish reading it last Monday. From the first page, I got hooked on it. Could not stop reading it. In fact, at work, I cut my lunches short in order to read a portion of a chapter.

And I skipped watching tv at home in anticipation of what's to come in the story.

I even bought the movie dvd (which I am yet to watch), but I am prepared for the frustration of the film failing to live up to the true essence of the printed version. Experience has proven that most movie versions of books are big dissapointments anyway!

I don't intend to spoil it all by giving out the whole storyline. Potong stim nanti.

Go get the book, read it and see what I mean.

Now I am to start on Hosseini's second novel, 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'.

I'll let you know if this one's as good as his first book.


* By the way, here's some other books that I consider good reading:







1 comment:

Ms. SS said...

pinjam Kite Runner boleh? Weekend ni bawa balik, SU for Su, ok? TQ..